Tuesday, October 11, 2011

NBA Lockout News: Commisioner David Stern Cancels First 2 Weeks Of Regular Season

*BBM sad face* Uhghhguguuguhghhghhghguhhghhgugugu (that's Flash crying FYI)
Sticking to his deadline, NBA Commissioner David Stern erased the first two weeks of the season after negotiations failed to produce a new labor deal and warned that more games were in jeopardy of being cut. "With every day that goes by, I think we need to look at further reductions in what's left of the season," Stern said. The cancellations mark the NBA's first work stoppage since the 1998-99 season was reduced to 50 games. "The gap is so significant that we just can't bridge it at this time," Stern said. "We certainly hoped it would never come to this." Union president Derek Fisher agreed, emphasizing that missing any games puts the season in jeopardy. "This is not where we choose to be," he said. "We're not at a place where a fair deal can be reached with the NBA." Stern said last week he would cancel the first two weeks of the season Monday without a new collective bargaining agreement. Top negotiators for both sides met for more than seven hours Monday, the longest session to date, after bargaining for more than five hours Sunday. The two sides expect to remain in contact, but no additional formal talks have been scheduled. Stern said both sides are "very far apart on virtually all issues. ... We just have a gulf that separates us." (MORE)
Listen. With 80+ games in the regular season, this isn't the WORST thing in the world but COME ON!!! I will say this much. If this NBA lockout situation isn't settled by the time the Superbowl is over, there will be some smoke in the city!!!

Oh. And what are they fighting over? The players want to get 53% of revenues while owners would like them to have 47%, according to Stern. Figure it out, dammit!


No comments:

Post a Comment