Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oprah Covers Parade Magazine + Excerpts!


Queen mother Oprah Winfrey graces us with her presence on the cover of Parade magazine in their December 2010 issue. In the feature the talk show mogul speaks on everything from President Obama, becoming an ambassador, what she perceives as failure and much more!

Peep the excerpts under the break.....


On Sarah Palin:
"I don't know her so I can't speak to [whether or not she'll be a candidate]. But I would say that America's going to fall in love with her from [her reality series, Sarah Palin's Alaska]. When I saw that first episode, I went, 'Whoa! She is charming and very likable.'" 
 
On being a "brand":
"I hate the word brand, but now I have succumbed to the fact that I guess I am one."  

What’s OWN about?
It is mindful television. I think so much of television is a minefield that just zaps your energy, wastes your time. What I want to do is build a channel that is a respite for your mind, an oasis of stimulation, that you come away from with little pieces of light. I’m aiming for a moment where somebody could say, “I never thought of it that way before.” I just love that. 
 
Could you have done something like be an ambassador?
Nobody’s offered [that] to me in this administration. But I will tell you a funny story. When I was at the Kennedy Center Honors for Tina Turner [in 2005], I was sitting at Colin Powell’s table, and he said that we were in the ambassadors room [a room at the State Department with portraits of ambassadors and secretaries of state]. And I said, “Gee, this is really—this is lovely. An ambassador, I think that would be really great.” He goes, “Name your country, baby, name your country.” [ laughs]  

Can I ask about President Obama? Are you concerned, disappointed?
No. I think that no one understands until you’ve been in that seat the enormous pressure to please and satisfy everybody. And I think instead of being grateful for where we are and what he has done, we’ve forgotten that we were on the brink of  a depression when he took over this office. And as everybody celebrates the holiday season and sits around with their families, regardless of your circumstance, we could’ve had breadlines. How soon we forget that. 
 
To read the full interview, CLICK HERE
 
Images: Parade mag/Ruven Afanador

No comments:

Post a Comment